Welcome to Ford Escape Forum

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Escape Forum, like most online communities you must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Escape Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Oil change questions-please help!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Sam Eberhart

Sam Eberhart

New Escape Member

• Escape Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationHanford, Ca
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Ford Escape SE

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:48 PM

Hi folks. I just joined the forum this evening. I just bought a 2015 Escape SE with the 2.5 liter four cylinder engine. I'm an old-school backyard mechanic, and I don't want to wait until the car tells me it's time for an oil change. I would like to get that break-in oil out pretty soon, but have some questions. I went out in the garage last night and tried to crawl under the front-end, but she sits so low, i couldn't squeeze under. I also noticed that big, hard plastic piece that looks like it covers most of the underside of the engine bay. I assume that will have to come off to change the oil & filter? Today i went to an auto parts store and bought some ramps. I also looked at the oil filter guides and saw that the 2014 Escape 2.5L engine uses the same Motorcraft oil filter my owner's manual calls out for my 2015, so i can use a Fram PH3614 and save myself a 30 mile trip to the Ford dealership for an OEM filter. My main question (i know-he finally gets to his question!) is how much new oil do I put in for an oil & filter change? My owner's manual says the engine oil capacity for the 2.5L is 5.7 quarts, which seems like a lot for just an oil & filter change. I also bought a Haynes manual for 2001 thru 2012 Escapes, and it says 4.5 quarts for a four cylinder engine oil & filter change. What say you experts, and thanks! Sam.

#2 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

New Escape Member

• Escape Member
  • 12 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationSuwanee, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Titanium

Posted 25 January 2015 - 07:42 AM

First, there is no such thing as break in oil and no real reason to change it early. Modern engines are pretty clean from the factory.

You'll need a torx bit to remove the cover. After that it's just like any other oil change.

I would wait and get the motorcraft filters. You can mail order them in bulk if you can't get them locally. All of the local auto parts stores here carry motorcraft filters now - no need to go to the dealer.

And you will need 5.7 quarts - the owners manual is always the best source. And make sure it's the right oil - should be motorcraft 5w-30 synthetic blend or have the same specs (or whatever the manual calls for. Pretty sure that's what all of the ecoboost engines use.)

I haven't changed the oil yet in the wife's escape. She only has 4K miles in 8 months.
  • robertlane likes this

#3 OFFLINE   robertlane

robertlane

New Escape Member

• Moderators
  • 142 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMI
  • Current Vehicle:E350, GT500

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:26 PM

Follow the manufacturers oil change intervals too - the dealer will have you in there every 3K, which is not necessary by Ford's standards. If you're doing your owner oil changes though, be CERTAIN to have your receipts should a warranty occasion arise.

Ford Escape Forum

Quick Tutorial Help

Forum Software Guide

#4 OFFLINE   Escapeism

Escapeism

New Escape Member

• Escape Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationFairfax, VA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Titanium

Posted 08 March 2015 - 02:49 PM

And make sure it's the right oil - should be motorcraft 5w-30 synthetic blend or have the same specs (or whatever the manual calls for. Pretty sure that's what all of the ecoboost engines use.)

Actually, you have is all wrong. The correct weight per my manual is 5w-20 for the 2.5 and 1.6. My 2.0 takes 5w-30.

Edited by Escapeism, 08 March 2015 - 02:49 PM.

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·