Welcome to Ford Escape Forum

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Escape Forum, like most online communities you must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Escape Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2005 Ford Escape XLT

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   EWD7

EWD7

New Escape Member

• Escape Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:Canada Atlantic Provinces
  • LocationDarlings Island
  • Current Vehicle:2005 Ford Escape XLT

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:22 PM

Hi everyone,  I have a 2005 Escape XLT and its excellent condition.  A month ago it started running very poorly, wouldn't go over 60, multiple dash lights on.  I took it to the garage and was told the PCM was bad.  No surprise to me i had read about this from many others.  The PCM was shipped away, repaired and updated.  The COP's and Plugs were all replaced with new OEM parts.  Everything was put on It started and ran fine, drove it for about 10 mins and the engine light came on and it started running rough.  Was told the air filter needed to be replaced, did that cleared the codes same thing happened again, was told there could be a broken wire, usually within 3" of the PCM, didn't replace the harness but peeled all the shielding back and looked for a broken wire nothing broke.  Taped it all back up. Was told maybe the PCM wasn't updated properly, sent it away again, it came back put it back in same issue.  If my escape wasn't in such good shape and i didn't have so much invested now i would stop.  But i really need to get this fixed.  Its home in my garage now, codes showing are PO354, PO352, PO356.  Any ideas?  

• Rusty-Rattler likes this

#2 OFFLINE   robertlane

robertlane

New Escape Member

• Moderators
  • 142 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMI
  • Current Vehicle:E350, GT500

Posted 20 February 2015 - 07:03 PM

An excellent resource is http://www.FlatRateTech.com

They have a lot of Ford techs on there.

Ford Escape Forum

Quick Tutorial Help

Forum Software Guide

#3 OFFLINE   EWD7

EWD7

New Escape Member

• Escape Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:Canada Atlantic Provinces
  • LocationDarlings Island
  • Current Vehicle:2005 Ford Escape XLT

Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:41 PM

Latest update.  I took my escape to the Dealership, $750 later they tell me the PCM is still no good.  The repair must not have worked.  Now the problem is that there are no PCM's available for my Escape,  Ford has them backordered with no expected delivery date.  The shop said they have been that way for months.   This is the number on my PCM 5L8A-12A650-LG ,  I'm told it is a rare part.

#4 OFFLINE   robertlane

robertlane

New Escape Member

• Moderators
  • 142 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMI
  • Current Vehicle:E350, GT500

Posted 27 February 2015 - 07:29 PM

Latest update.  I took my escape to the Dealership, $750 later they tell me the PCM is still no good.  The repair must not have worked.  Now the problem is that there are no PCM's available for my Escape,  Ford has them backordered with no expected delivery date.  The shop said they have been that way for months.   This is the number on my PCM 5L8A-12A650-LG ,  I'm told it is a rare part.

Check them out:

Phone: 800-547-2049

www.CircuitBoardMedics.com

Ford Escape Forum

Quick Tutorial Help

Forum Software Guide

#5 OFFLINE   CircuitBoardMedics

CircuitBoardMedics

New Escape Member

• Escape Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationSC
  • Current Vehicle:2005 Ford Escape

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:12 PM

This is a well documented problem, and we can certainly help you.  We have these PCMs on the shelf and ready to ship, and we also do all of the programming for you (PCM and key security), so there is no programming required on your end.  Also, we are NOT affiliated with Ford at all, but we suggest ONLY using Motorcraft ignition coils (trust me, we have a lot of experience with these failures).  Here are a few resources that will help:

Video showing how to replace the ignition coils in your Escape and also explaining the only way to prevent this from happening again:

http://circuitboardm...lacement-video/

Video showing how to remove the PCM:

http://circuitboardm...ape-pcm-repair/

Please let me know if you have any questions.  I look forward to serving you!

#6 OFFLINE   millards

millards

New Escape Member

• Escape Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationLouisa, Virginia
  • Current Vehicle:2005 Ford Escape

Posted 04 May 2015 - 03:51 AM

I had a damaged PCM on my 2005 Ford Escape less than a year ago a I sent my damaged PCM to Circuit Board Medics. I also spoke with a tech. on the phone and he told me to replace all of the old coils before I tried to start it up with the PCM which they repaired. This information and the repair they did on my PCM was great. I have not had any problems since then with my vehicle with the coil packs or the PCM. 

#7 OFFLINE   raudas1216

raudas1216

New Escape Member

• Escape Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationTexas (TX)
  • Current Vehicle:2006 Ford Escape XLT No Boundaries Edition

Posted 30 July 2017 - 04:23 PM

I know this is an old thread, but this seems to be similar to the problem I am having. I bought a 2006 Escape 3.0L about 3 months ago from a used car lot. It has run flawlessly up until yesterday. I made about a 2 hour trip, and around 10 minutes from our destination, the CEL came on and it started running a little rough. After we got back, I read the codes and came up with a P0351. I replaced the #1 coil and all the spark plugs (someone had put 5 copper Autolites in it, and one Motorcraft, I replaced with NGK G-Power platinum.), and when I started it, the CEL was off but it still ran a little rough, and about 15 seconds in, I hear a sizzling type noise, and smoke boils from under the hood. I shut it down, and it appears the brand new coil (Import Direct from O'Reilly auto) split near the bottom and burned up. I don't have the money to use all Motorcraft stuff, nor a brand new Ford or even reman computer. Does this sound like the typical problems as previously discussed, and is there a realistic chance a salvage computer will get me down the road again? Thanks in advance for the help.

#8 OFFLINE   LANMAN

LANMAN

New Escape Member

• Escape Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationPanama City Beach Florida
  • Current Vehicle:2005 Ford Escape 3.0L V6 2WD

Posted 18 August 2017 - 03:56 PM

Greetings raudas1216,

My two cents...Be Careful... Read up on PO351... the three coil-overs in the front of your engine are 4-5-6, 1-2-3 (reading from passenger side to drivers side) are the ones back near the firewall under the air intake. Move the coil from the misfire cylinder to another cylinder and see if the issue follows...changed the code from PO351 to PO352, etc. If so, you know the coil you moved is bad. I had the same problem on my 2005 Escape XLT 3.0L, v6 and had to change all of my plugs and coils only to find out it was a bad MAF sensor (Mass Air Flow) on the top of the air intake. I bought three of them before I found one that worked. Ford only had remanufactured MAF's and remanufactured MAF sensors are not reliable. I found a new DELPHI AF10127 MAF sensor and it cleared all of my problems. Don't forget that a vacuum leak can also cause your car to run rough. Vacuum line is cheap also.

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·