Welcome to Ford Escape Forum

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Escape Forum, like most online communities you must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Escape Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Escape 2001 4 cyl manual RPM stay high when shifting

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   zhutev

zhutev

New Escape Member

• Escape Member
  • 1 posts
  • LocationTustin CA USA
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Escape XLT 2001

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:56 PM

I just bought Ford Escape 2001 XLT, 4 cylinders engine, 185 000miles, manual transmission. There are few things i do not know how to fix.
1. The engine rpm does not goes down when i shit the gears, so i have to wait for 5 seconds, after 5 seconds it goes to idle. Cleaning the idle valve and the throttle did not help. May be the PCV valve?
2. When idle, there is resonance that transfers to the body and it is really annoying. If i slightly load the motor with the clutch, on gear, than it quiet down. Noting seems to be loosed or free.
3. When release the clutch to move from completely stopped vehicle, there is a crazy jump front and back most like on the engine, until the car start moving. On the road i look as a student. That does not happen if i over load the start (press the gas pedal) or hold the clutch to keep slipping until the car moved. It is more present when first start the car. After it warm up it is not so bad.
4. When speed is over 20 mph, than a noise race up and remain even if the engine is turned off. I believe it is coming from the tires 235/15 BF Goodrich. The original recommended are 225/70/15. I raced the front wheels jacked up, up to 80 mph and there was no bearing noise. The rear bearings also seem to be good. What I did not try is to rotate the tires to change the rotation direction of all of them.

#2 OFFLINE   ford4bj

ford4bj

New Escape Member

• Escape Member
  • 1 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Vehicle:2002 Escape 2.0 manual

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:18 AM

I had the same thing, check the pcv valve, the 90 degree hose attached and the hose that goes from the connecting metel tube under the distrubitor to the back of the motor. If they are ok. change the TPS (throtle position sensor

#3 OFFLINE   KenM

KenM

New Escape Member

• Escape Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationDarrington, WA
  • Current Vehicle:2004 Ford Escape 2.0 ltr

Posted Today, 10:17 AM

I have a 2004 escape, 2.0 ltr, manual 5 spd.

I am having pretty much the same problem, my rpm only hangs for about 2-3 seconds before dropping during shift. Then again sometimes it hangs in gear at 2000 to 3000 RPM and I have to step on clutch and wait for it to drop.

Cleaned throttle body, Idle air sensor, mass air flow. Replaced PCV and elbow and now at least it does not stall out. Replaced the throttle position sensor

Maybe I need to check throttle plate when warm to see if it is closing all the way. Throttle cable does not hang up.

Edited by KenM, Today, 10:19 AM.

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·