Welcome to Ford Escape Forum

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Escape Forum, like most online communities you must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Escape Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Timing Belt

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jgundel

jgundel

New Escape Member

• Escape Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationUSA
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Escape Titanium

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:31 AM

I am a new owner of a 2014 Escape Tit.   I've been told that the timing belt on the 1.6L is a weak spot and is NOT covered by the Warranty.  I would like your input on the subject as this "gossip" is making me sorry I purchased an Escape.

#2 OFFLINE   charlie1939

charlie1939

New Escape Member

• Escape Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationMars, PA
  • Current Vehicle:08 Escape AWD XLT

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:17 PM

Any rubber & fabric based timing belt is a weak point compared with a steel timing chain. A timing belt is usually good for about 100K miles and should be replaced after that. Read your manual: the maintenance section will probably address that aspect of taking care of your vehicle. Most small engines have a rubber & fabric timing belt. When it fails, the valve train ceases to operate and the engine will NOT run! Plus that, in some high compression engines, the valves may interfere with the pistons and belt failure can result in damaged pistons and connecting rods. Beaucoup repair cost involved or a used engine transplant...Why use a timing belt? It is a matter of cost for the manufacturer!!!

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·