Welcome to Ford Escape Forum

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Escape Forum, like most online communities you must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Escape Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

3.0 oil leak ,what gaskets?to purchase...

3.0 oil leak gasket 2006

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Dougray

Dougray

New Escape Member

• Escape Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationMaryland
  • Current Vehicle:2006 3.0 Duratec AWD

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:50 PM

hello, i have a 2006 escape AWD w/3.0 Duratec...the engine has oil leaks at the "front" serpentine belt side...ok my plan is to pull engine and replace gaskets/seals,etc. ok what gaskets are needed or should i purchase an engine gasket set? and what else i should do while having engine out..,the duratec has 300,000+ miles,no smoke ,or tapping/ticking/rattle noises...just an oil leak...thanks in advance,for any suggestions... :)

#2 OFFLINE   shankster

shankster

New Escape Member

• Escape Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationDurango,CO
  • Current Vehicle:2003 Ford Escape XLT AWD 3.0 V6

Posted 20 August 2017 - 06:31 AM

From memory you would need:

Front cover gasket kit (which should include the front crankshaft seal and an oil pump o-ring)

Oil pan gasket

Valve cover gasket kit (should include the grommets for the valve cover bolts)

Upper and lower intake manifold gasket kit.

EGR valve gasket

There are also various seals you'll get into for the right side driveaxle going into the PTU and the transmission you might think about changing out.  I believe there is one where the driveaxle enters the PTU and one where the PTU enters the transmission.  There is also a seal where the rear driveshaft enters the rear of the PTU.

If you haven't done it in a while it would also be a good opportunity to change out the PCV valve and the spark plugs.

All that being said, this will be a very time consuming project for you - one I personally would not embark on for a 300k engine.  Having just pulled the motor on my 2003 3.0 AWD I know it is a major task. This is the 4th motor I've ever pulled and was by far the worst, mainly due to the AWD, transverse engine and tight spaces.  I bet it took 4x longer than any of the others.  My advice would either be to live with the leaks until the engine finally goes bad (which can't be that much longer with those miles on it) or to find a low mile salvage motor to put in.  JDM Mazda Tribute engines (with supposedly 55 to 60k miles) are out there for under $1000 shipped or you might be able to use a Duratec from other vehicles (Ford 500 etc?). I did a 03 Taurus/Sable Duratec swap into my 03 so I had to move some parts over from my old engine which wasn't too bad.

One more thought - could your leak just be coming from the crankshaft seal on the front cover?  I'd investigate that carefully and if so just do that seal with the motor in the car - that would be an ugly job too but the ugliness pales in comparison to pulling the motor.

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·