Welcome to Ford Escape Forum

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Escape Forum, like most online communities you must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Escape Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Did I just ruin my flex plate? torque converter?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   shankster

shankster

New Escape Member

• Escape Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationDurango,CO
  • Current Vehicle:2003 Ford Escape XLT AWD 3.0 V6

Posted 19 August 2017 - 05:06 PM

I just screwed up, I just need to know how bad :(

I bought a cherry 2003 Escape XLT AWD V6 last month with a blown motor and just dropped a "new" motor from a 2003 Sable into it.  Anyway, when I mated up the engine to the tranny I forgot to match up the studs on the torque converter to the holes in the flex plate before I tightened up the engine to tranny bolts.  I realized what I'd done and loosened up the tranny bolts and separated the engine from the tranny a couple of inches then turned over the engine by hand till the holes lined up and was able to get the nuts on.

I definitely tweaked the flywheel by mashing it against the studs - when I looked through the hole for the starter the flex plate was pushed hard against the block.  It did spring back again when I loosened things up but not sure if it went all the way back to it's original shape.

So I'm wondering if I did any permanent damage to the flex plate or the torque converter?  Should I pull the motor back out and install a new flex plate?  That would not be fun but it would sure beat re-assembling everything and then discovering something was wrong and having to start from scratch again (probably talking 2 hours vs 20 hours).

Also, can the torque converter take that kind of abuse?  I must have forced it pretty hard against the transmission.

I recon this is probably something someone has done in the past - just wondering if that person is out there and if they got away with this?

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·