Welcome to Ford Escape Forum

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Escape Forum, like most online communities you must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Escape Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

USB Port Charging While Using Android Auto

sync google maps android auto usb charging

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Walt W

Walt W

New Escape Member

• Escape Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationRichmond, VA
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Ford Escape

Posted 12 December 2017 - 01:16 PM

Hi,

My Escape doesn’t have a built-in Nav System, but I was very pleased to learn Sync works with Android Auto, which enables Google Maps usability (my preferred navigation software).   

Overall I’m pleased with the Sync / Android Auto integration for navigation, however; the USB port doesn’t supply enough power to the phone to keep it charged while using AA / Google Maps.  Trips over a few hours and my phone goes completely dead – often before I arrive at my destination!   

Unless there’s a ‘work-a-round’ out there, it appears I’m going to have to avoid using the Sync Screen for navigation purposes – which is a real bummer. 

Anyone else experience this problem?  And, has anyone identified a solution? 

Thank you!

#2 OFFLINE   Walt W

Walt W

New Escape Member

• Escape Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationRichmond, VA
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Ford Escape

Posted 20 December 2017 - 02:08 PM

I have an update.  We tested the USB ports and they weren't the issue.  The problem was directly related to low quality USB cable(s) the worst of which turned out to be the Samsung USB cable that came with my phone (.034amps).  After trying several different cables, I found one that drew .88amps which is plenty to keep the phone fully charged while using any program I threw at it (including Android Auto / Google Maps for nav). Very pleased this issue was resolved and wasn't related to a hardware issue within the vehicle.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sync, google maps, android auto, usb charging

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·