Welcome to Ford Escape Forum

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Escape Forum, like most online communities you must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Escape Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Rear axel noise

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gjm4jc

gjm4jc

New Escape Member

• Escape Member
  • 1 posts
  • LocationFalls Church
  • Current Vehicle:2003 Ford Escape

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:49 PM

I own a 2003 Ford Escape XLS 4x4 V6. There is a switch that I can turn to "Auto" or "4x4" . When I turn the switch to 4x4 everything works fine. However, I noticed that when I reversed the car and turned I hear a loud clunk/bang sound. It makes that sound almost every time I reverse and turn. It did make it a couple of time after going forward and turn from the reverse and turning but not often. When the car is moving forward and driving at any speed when the switch is turned to the 4x4 there are no issues and no noise. When I turn the switch back to Auto there are no issues or sounds going forward or reverse or turning. It only happens when the switch is turn to the 4x4 and reversing and turning the SUV. I still have warranty on the car and want to find out if this is normal or what may be wrong before taking it in to the dealership. Thank you!

#2 OFFLINE   raymos50

raymos50

New Escape Member

• Escape Member
  • 4 posts
  • Location31324
  • Current Vehicle:2002 Ford Escape 3.0 AWD

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:55 AM

I own a 2003 Ford Escape XLS 4x4 V6. There is a switch that I can turn to "Auto" or "4x4" . When I turn the switch to 4x4 everything works fine. However, I noticed that when I reversed the car and turned I hear a loud clunk/bang sound. It makes that sound almost every time I reverse and turn. It did make it a couple of time after going forward and turn from the reverse and turning but not often. When the car is moving forward and driving at any speed when the switch is turned to the 4x4 there are no issues and no noise. When I turn the switch back to Auto there are no issues or sounds going forward or reverse or turning. It only happens when the switch is turn to the 4x4 and reversing and turning the SUV. I still have warranty on the car and want to find out if this is normal or what may be wrong before taking it in to the dealership. Thank you!

As the doctor says, if it hurts when you do that, don't do that : )

The noise you hear is normal if you are on solid pavement but you should not have the 4x4 selector set to anything other than Auto unless you are on a slippery surface. What you are hearing is the limited slip differential slipping to accommodate the difference in tire rotations as you back up. It may not do this in forward motion since the clutch slips more often in that mode than in reverse.

I hope this helps!

Edited by raymos50, 07 February 2012 - 08:56 AM.

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·