Welcome to Ford Escape Forum

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Escape Forum, like most online communities you must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Escape Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Can your tires drive in this???

tires winter slick snow ice compacted sliding slide

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   donquixo

donquixo

New Escape Member

• Escape Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationConnecticut
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Ford Escape Hybrid Limited AWD

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:30 AM

First off I'm driving a 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid Limited AWD.

I've been searching for a while for tires that would give me confidence in the worst of winter conditions. I found a set that's all-season, off-road and rated for "Severe Snow Conditions” with a mountain snowflake symbol. But, although going through any snow didn't seem like much of a problem, stopping and slow downhill driving in heavy stop-and-go traffic shattered my confidence with those tires. I found myself sliding towards the curb when I had to stop while going downhill at 5mph in very heavy traffic. Simply staying in Low gear wasn't an option even when giving myself enough room in front. Possibly part of the reason is that when breaks are wet on a hybrid they are very touchy when you decelerate to 5mph-0mph, causing the brakes to lock-up. And at that speed traction control or ABS doesn't seem to pick up any loss of traction on compacted & very slippery snow.

So, I am including a couple of youtube links with similar snow conditions to what my escape went through. If you found yourself in a similar situation and were the one guy that just drove through please share the tire specs you used. Getting stuck was never a problem, stopping and exceptional control in these conditions is something that would benefit all that read this forum. Cheers to all that have found the right tires for the job!

Here are the youtube links:
(minute 2:47, similar to what my escape did)

Edited by donquixo, 30 December 2013 - 11:56 AM.

#2 OFFLINE   Thelegend

Thelegend

New Escape Member

• Escape Member
  • 94 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:59 PM

I use these ones 235-70-16 and have not had any  issues

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tires, winter, slick, snow, ice, compacted, sliding, slide

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·