Welcome to Ford Escape Forum

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Escape Forum, like most online communities you must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Escape Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Oil change questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Carguy1981

Carguy1981

New Escape Member

• Escape Member
  • 49 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:27 AM

a few questions,

I took it to the dealer for the first time  to change the oil and they did their inspection and everything was good.
Today I asked my wife to take it in for the oil change and they said that the oil filter housing is worn.
#1: Is this part a dealership only or should I get it after market?
#2: I have done my oil changes myself, I don't know how to reset it. Is there a how-to on this?

#2 OFFLINE   ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

New Escape Member

• Escape Member
  • 9 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationHighlands Ranch
  • Current Vehicle:'06 Mariner & '12 Escape

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:41 AM

#2- do you have an owner's manual? If so, it should be in there.

#3 OFFLINE   jerrymack

jerrymack

New Escape Member

• Escape Member
  • 3 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Escape Hybrid 4WD 2007

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:56 PM

You did not explain fully what happened.  You took the car in for an oil change and inspection, so did you get the first oil change?  And now when you asked your wife to take it in, is this the second oil change?  And did she go to a Ford dealer for this?  If so they should be quite familiar with the oil filter housing problem as I explain below:

I don't know which engine you have since you did not say.  But on my Escape Hybrid, I have the 4-cylinder engine.  And the oil filter housing is poorly designed in that the cover (that screws off so you can remove the filter) is made of plastic.  It is strong enough to do the job, but the little notches that are provided to grab and unscrew this cover are not deep or strong enough so that when you try to use a standard oil filter wrench, the wrench slips.  I do all my own oil changes, and there are two solutions to this problem.  One is to use a strap type wrench on the filter cover.  I have one with a flexible metal strap which goes around the filter cover and tightens as you put force on it.  The other solution that I have used is with the socket-type oil filter wrench which is about 3 to 4 inches in diameter.  If I  try to turn the filter socket wrench with the ratchet handle, it just slips off that plastic cover.  So I place a hydraulic jack right under the oil filter with the socket wrench in place (it points straight down on my 4-cylinder engine)(and I am doing this in the driveway, not on a hoist) and put upward pressure on the filter socket wrench to hold it tight onto the plastic filter cover.  Then I can use an open-end wrench to turn the socket wrench a bit to break it loose.  Then I can remove the jack and take it off the rest of the way (with an oil-catch pan under it!!!)  I believe that this slipping off of the socket wrench is why the mechanics told you the filter housing is "worn."

Anyway there are no aftermarket parts available for this part; you would have to go to Ford.

My oil filter record is just reset by using the buttons on the dash that allow you to step through all the info stored in the cars computer.

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·