I have a 2008 Ford Escape that has been issued a recall for power steering failures. I checked the VIN number and can see that the recall service was not done on this car. The car is now in Honduras and I am certain that the recall will not be honored here. This is the 1st year the Escape came with electronic assist power steering, which means it has a small motor and not the hydraulic pump. I have had 2 times the power steering "switch" off and both times were after making sharp turns of the wheel for parking.

I have done the research and have found that most times the problem with the system is the steering speed torque sensor. I have found this sensor as Dorman 905-524 and even a instructional video on how to correctly replace the part. The part is out of stock and the factory says they have no date when it will be again available.

Have any of you owners had problems with your steering? If so, what was the solution? Does anyone know of an alternative to this Dorman part?

Thanks in advance to any and all replies.

I'd be interested to read any further knowledge you've acquired.

Dorman is literally the lowest common denominator in the aftermarket parts industry but unfortunately they are taking over many other quality manufactures without improving anything in their own line. With the failure rate I see in the industry with Dorman parts I'd rather just drive my car off a cliff then put a Dorman part in it.

For something as important as a steering component, stick to the dealer only, although I understand the availability issue at the moment. Additionally, if it is not done through a dealership it will never be registered as having been done (such as with other future owners or in case of an accident).

However, in the TSB, you must specifically scan the PSCM first; if codes B1342, B2277 or B2278 are not present, then only a reprogram is required. If B2278 is present then the torque sensor is replaced. If B1342 or B2277 are present then the entire steering column must be replaced.

Edited by Knottynuts