Sign in to follow this  
cgiff81

Wax

Hello all,

I was wondering what everybody thinks is the best wax to use?

I would highly recommend McGwuires paste or liquid wax.  Best results  are achieved by first using a clay bar and removing surface dirt not able to be removed by washing.

I've used old fashion Carduban wax. It's work, but it looks great. Sometimes I find it in a yard sale super cheap.

I'm a professional detailer, and just so you know... it's not wax that makes a car look great, it's polish. The wax goes over the polish, and sometimes it can make it look a little better, but polish is the main thing. 

Meguire's makes pretty decent stuff; I'd recommend getting some of their polish and then their wax on top of that. 

I also recommend using something like Dawn dish soap to wash it first; it's very good at stripping all the old wax off so you can start fresh. If you really wanna go full tilt you can clay bar it, that really removes any contaminants. 

And, as always, you'll see the best results with an orbital polishing wheel. You can pick one up at Harbor Freight for ~$40 and it'd suit your needs just fine. I wouldn't recommend a rotary though; without experience you can burn through the clear and the paint very quickly and easily. 

16 minutes ago, Ck111484 said:

I'm a professional detailer, and just so you know... it's not wax that makes a car look great, it's polish. The wax goes over the polish, and sometimes it can make it look a little better, but polish is the main thing. 

IMO 3M makes the best products, but Meguire's makes pretty decent stuff; I'd recommend getting some of their polish and then their wax on top of that. Even spray waxes have come a long way and aren't too bad. 

I also recommend using something like Dawn dish soap to wash it first; it's very good at stripping all the old wax off so you can start fresh. If you really wanna go full tilt you can clay bar it, that really removes any contaminants. 

And, as always, you'll see the best results with an orbital polishing wheel. You can pick one up at Harbor Freight for ~$40 and it'd suit your needs just fine. I wouldn't recommend a rotary though; without experience you can burn through the clear and the paint very quickly and easily. 

Edited by Ck111484