ex0r

2008 ford escape rattling front-end

Hey guys. New poster, new member. Hope to get some value out of these forums. 

So I have a 2008 ford escape XLT (3.0). FWD. I recently replaced both control arms, tie rods, sway bar bushings and sway bar links, and I continue to get extremely excessive vibrations at high-speed, and rattling/clunking from the front end. I had originally thought maybe the tires were wore on the front from the bad suspension, but when I took them off to examine them, they still look brand new. The tire place said that the condition they were in wouldn't cause the vibrations and noise I am feeling and hearing. 

The shaking is only noticeable on the highway, at around 70 or higher. The steering wheel shakes quite a bit, and the faster you go the faster and louder a 'thunking' noise gets, coming from the steering area. 

The clunking noise I can hear when I am driving, and go over potholes, bumps, etc. There is also an occassional 'popping' noise coming from the front-end when I turn corners, although it's not frequent or really loud. It does it in about the middle of steering wheel travel. It almost sounds like the cv axle is popping or something. 

I haven't replaced the wheel bearings yet, but when I had the car apart to do the control arms, tie rods and other front-end parts, I did grab the rotors and attempt to shake them to see if there was any play in the bearings, to which I found none. I am not sure what other ways to test the bearings. 

I drive 90 miles a day to and from work, and also have small children that ride in this vehicle too, so getting it fixed is a concern for me, but do not have tons of money to throw at it to 'see if this fixes it', or to take it to an overpriced mechanic for them to 'guess' what's wrong with it. 

Are there some places I can start looking to see if I can pinpoint the problem myself?

Thank you!

• Like 1

I've got the opposite problem.  Replaced the front lower ball joints had new ties put on and then my grinding/clunking noise started up.  Mine is at slow speeds when turning left and seems to only be when I am accelerating.  I hope someone follows up on your thread.  It could be related to both of us.

I have a little different issue, i had my transmission rebuilt,drive shaft replaced, and just recently i had 4 tires put on the escape as it is 4wd and when the mechanic took the front tires off he said i needed front brakes in the near future but it wasn't something i needed to rush out and get done, so i waited a couple weeks and got all my parts, set aside a saturday morning and got the brakes done, took a little longer than normal as i had to run out and get a 9mm socket for the caliper slide bolts, but i got everything done and took it for a test drive, brakes evenly and straight, no vibration. the next day i went out for a bit and noticed that i had a metal rattle like a heat shield or something making noise which it never did so i brought it home put it up on ramps and i couldn't replicate the rattle by hitting the exhaust and there was no noise before the brakes were done, so i was wondering if anyone has experienced this and what caused it as i can't find the source i will be taking the front tires off again today to see if something went awry but everything seems tight and it brakes even, only seems to do this after it gets warmed up (which is why i thought heat shield) and it doen's matter if your moving or not when tapping the gas pedal it makes the noise when stopped or driving in gear and in park so to me it sounds like exhaust but i am not sure as i can't see a rattle coming from the brakes but i will double check, maybe i missed tightening a bolt but i don't think so but you never know

Hey guys. New poster, new member. Hope to get some value out of these forums. 

So I have a 2008 ford escape XLT (3.0). FWD. I recently replaced both control arms, tie rods, sway bar bushings and sway bar links, and I continue to get extremely excessive vibrations at high-speed, and rattling/clunking from the front end. I had originally thought maybe the tires were wore on the front from the bad suspension, but when I took them off to examine them, they still look brand new. The tire place said that the condition they were in wouldn't cause the vibrations and noise I am feeling and hearing. 

The shaking is only noticeable on the highway, at around 70 or higher. The steering wheel shakes quite a bit, and the faster you go the faster and louder a 'thunking' noise gets, coming from the steering area. 

The clunking noise I can hear when I am driving, and go over potholes, bumps, etc. There is also an occassional 'popping' noise coming from the front-end when I turn corners, although it's not frequent or really loud. It does it in about the middle of steering wheel travel. It almost sounds like the cv axle is popping or something. 

I haven't replaced the wheel bearings yet, but when I had the car apart to do the control arms, tie rods and other front-end parts, I did grab the rotors and attempt to shake them to see if there was any play in the bearings, to which I found none. I am not sure what other ways to test the bearings. 

I drive 90 miles a day to and from work, and also have small children that ride in this vehicle too, so getting it fixed is a concern for me, but do not have tons of money to throw at it to 'see if this fixes it', or to take it to an overpriced mechanic for them to 'guess' what's wrong with it. 

Are there some places I can start looking to see if I can pinpoint the problem myself?

Thank you!

so you have pretty much tackled everything in the front end the only thing left is to maybe check the tires and wheels for a balance issue, and if you have a spare set of wheels swap them and see if it still does it, my brother just did a weekend getaway and had the same issues where the front end sounded funny but when they rolled into the tire shop and had them look into it they noticed that 1 tire had belt separation and but from what you are describing and from what he described to me during his drive it sounds familiar except his girlfriend kept saying look it goes away if you go faster, but if they didn't get it looked at they could have been statistics if they didn't stop and have a tire shop look into it.and being as your is front wheel drive have you checked the CV-Joints

I've had the same noise issue since I got mine but I was told it would be about a $750 and that if I could live with the noise it wouldn't be a big deal. Then I found this video. Exact same noise in the same situations. Ordered my parts last night to get it fixed. Hopefully that helps.