Sign in to follow this  
terrym21

Negative battery terminal

My 2014 Escape recently needed a new battery. After getting to the battery (30-minute job), I got to the negative terminal and saw that it had a lot of corrosion...no big deal, I've seen that on countless vehicles. What I found connected to the terminal was something I've never seen. There was some kind of device attached to the terminal, with its own two-wire cable and connector. I was careful to clean all of the corrosion and not damage whatever this device was. It all went back together OK (another 30-minute job) and all runs well.

Can anyone tell me what the device is on the terminal?

post-2280-0-23185900-1535736537_thumb.jpg  

Thats the draw sensor for the battery monitoring system. With all that corrosion thats probably all that was wrong in the first place. It senses when a draw is happening like the fan motor kicking on. Its suppose to help charge the battery when need be or it actually can communicate with the computer and shut off other accessories to help lesson the load, much like how apps go to sleep on your phone when they arent being used. Its in most 2011 and newer ford cars and trucks. I think it dumb. Haha

Edited by RickNIdaho
Spelling

On the newer ones, that's what you unplug to banish the evil stop/start.