Tony

Stay Away 2020 Escape

I'm posting this in hopes of helping someone avoid major disappointment. This isn't to bash Ford, I've owned several Fords over the years and am still a big Mustang fan, however Ford has laid a collosal egg with the 2020 Escape. I purchased a 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid Titanium in July. Test drive was pleasant and the promise of 40+ mpg was enticing. I quickly regretted this decision as I immediately started having problems with the heads up display. Sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldn't. Took back to have checked with initial try to repair was re-soldering some wiring. Didn't fix. Try #2 was to replace the whole heads up display, didn't fix. Try #3 was to replace a wiring harness, didn't fix. Car was at dealership 2 out of the first 3 months I owned it. On top of all of that before I took it back initially I went to pop the hood to put in sone rain x washer fluid and the hood popped loudly because it hit the A pillar on one side so hard it chipped paint off. I had to loosen the bolts holding the hood on and adjust it myself. The back hatch was also crooked and had to be adjusted. The passenger leather seat cover had a fairly big wrinkle in it and felt like it was missing some padding. Body seams all over the vehicle didn't line up well or had uneven gaps. I would be extremely unhappy but after contacting Ford while the car was sitting at the dealership they approved a buyback. So while I'd vehemently advise against purchasing a 2020 Escape I must give Ford kudos for doing the right thing. They completely paid off the loan and I was able to walk away from the vehicle. But I am extremely disappointed in Ford for allowing these vehicles to go to market with so many problems. The quality control is severely lacking. I have since purchased a Volkswagen Tiguan and the fit and finish and quality of build is heads above the Ford Escape, no comparison.

Edited by Tony
Misspelled words

Congratulations on your VW purchase.

Your original post echoes others I seen about the Escape Titanium.  One must wonder how the top of the line model can have such issues.

In December 2019, I purchased a 2020 Escape SE Sport Hybrid.  No problems thus far and I am very pleased with it.

I will second that. My girl friend has a 2020 Titanium Echoboost Escape and it has every option they put on this thing. I have to say after reading this earlier, I went out and looked over her car with a fine tooth comb and checked gaps and hood issue and everything looks like it should. Maybe you just got unlucky with the pick of the one you got. Maybe if you ended up in a different one, this might not have happened. But it does still suck you had to go through all the mess with it. 

Sounds like you got a lemon! After 1000 miles on my 2020 Escape Titanium I have found no defects in workmanship. My only issue is the heads-up display must be readjusted down so I can see it nearly every time I drive it. It will stay for a few minutes with the car off, much longer it requires adjustment.

Good luck with your VW

I have had my 2020 escape titanium for less than a month, it's my fourth new escape and the only one I've ever had regrets.  I traded my 2018 escape titanium for it, so my perspective is going from the "old" to the new.  I'll start with the pro's.   I like the absence of the two Ford triangle metal things (insignia's? -  I don't know what they're called) that have been on both sides of Fords for years.  I was just tired of them and thought their removal was a visual improvement.  And I love the spoiler, finally after all these years, an escape with a spoiler!   Now, here go the cons (in my opinion):

1) The leather seats are made with teeny tiny holes in the fabric, like little venting dots, for lack of a better explanation.  They look really nice.  BUT - Every time I eat in the car, which is often, when I go to brush the crumbs off the seat they are STUCK in the little holes in the fabric.  My seats are black and food particles show.  Boy, do they ever show!  The only way to get them out (this was my last resort!) is to gently insert the tip of a toothpick into each hole containing crumbs, one by one, and scoop them out.  I'm not overly messy by any means when I eat, these are just normal little crumbs like I've brushed off the seat in every car I've ever owned in my life with ease and without a thought.  It sounds like such a small thing but it's my first "con" listed if that tells you anything, lol.  But you don't know what you don't know, and I never gave it a thought.

2) Keyless entry - A few times when I went to get in the car with my keyless fob, it failed to unlock.  It made the clicking noise, but didn't unlock.  Even holding the fob right next to the handle and touching the handle repeatedly, it still wouldn't unlock and required me to physically press the unlock button on the fob.  It's happened probably 4-5 times so far, but naturally it's frustrating because you never know whether THIS will be the time it doesn't unlock.  About the time you forget and aren't thinking about it, it happens again.  Could be really bad if you are in a big hurry (a parking lot alone at night comes to mind) and not expecting it.   

3) Acceleration is more sluggy than the 2018 (my 2020 is a 2.0 which I think is the biggest, not sure if all titaniums are 2.0).

4) Putting gas in - Very small complaint, but still annoying so I'll mention -  The gas door doesn't just open with a flick like my 2018 did.  It's a press-release door and sometimes you have to press more than once to hit the sweet spot.  Secondly, the hole to insert the gas dispenser is very narrow for some reason.  Seems like you have to jostle the gas dispenser to fit just right into the narrow opening.  These items are small and do-able, it just seems like a downgrade from the 2018.

5) From the auto-shutoff at a stoplight there is a slight hesitation before it takes off again when you hit the gas.  Deficient as compared to the 2018 that resumed acceleration so smoothly it was as if it had never shut off.   

6) The cubbies are gone!  My 2018 had some neat little storage cubbies on the console, there was a little square that was deep enough to hold my iPhone upright, and a bigger cubby where I put my french fries.  Also a little cubby for spare change.  ALL GONE.  There are no cubbies at all in 2020.  Oh, and the glove box is more narrow. I knew this when I bought it so I can't complain too much, but it was a very nice convenience that's gone in 2020.  

7) The 2018 had a little red lock indicator, from the outside when it's locked you could look across at the other door through the window and see a little red light indicating the doors were locked.  Not there now.  Not a big thing or a deal-breaker, but it was a nice convenience that's gone.   

😎 Lumbar support for the front passenger seat is no longer available as it was in prior years.  

Bottom line - In hindsight I feel like I spent a lot of money and and other than miles, it's feels like a step down in so many ways.  Nothing major, no one thing, but the little things do add up and if I had a do-over, I would pass on buying it.