Strikerz

2008 Escape Bad Trans

Hey everyone!

Not sure what to do and feeling pretty raked over. Bought a 2008 escape from a dealership as is back in August 2020. I wasn't able to get it inspected due to covid-19, which was my first mistake.

Now, it's January and the transmission has been slipping and randomly shifting on me so bad I can't travel with it now.

It had no signs of these issues until a month or so ago, it popped while I was going up a hill. It's been a champ in every other regard except for some electrical issues. Wondering if that may be the problem? I just put my first 3k miles on it. All fluids are clean and topped off. Don't know what to do. Spent $8k cash.

Anyone have any insight? My funds are limited, so I'm trying not to feel discouraged, but that's the way my guts leaning. How would the dealership have hid this problem on me? So now, if I go to sell it, I have to sell it with problems and for what... Half the price? Such a bad investment lol

Hey dude, you're not alone in this.

I just bought a 2012 escape last month with 100,000 miles.  The transmission went out 2 days after I bought it in cash 8K  :(   needless to say I was fairy pissed off as I was stranded on the 295.  Anyways, I'm looking at what I need to do.  I had read that the transmissions on these were horrible and the number 1 complaint (problem) from buyers, but I didn't think I'd get a crappy one.  I'm highly considering doing a manual transmission swap if I can find an 5-spd XLS in a salvage yard somewhere.  I have heard of people replacing or repairing their dead auto transmissions and then having the new ones fail too.  Maybe its not true, but what do I know, I'm new to the escapes.  That having been said, I really like the vehicle itself.  Just not the gear box.

Bon

The 2008 do have a very common problem with the intermediate band breaking. This is a repair that can be done with the transmission in the vehicle and it's a cheap repair but it very fussy and requires some skill (if you don't do just right you will have to pull the entire transmission out of the vehicle.

I've done the repair myself for less than $200 (parts, fluid, etc.) successfully. Do a little research (YouTube and such) and see if the symptoms fit what your experiencing.

On 6/6/2021 at 11:01 AM, Knottynuts said:

The 2008 do have a very common problem with the intermediate band breaking. This is a repair that can be done with the transmission in the vehicle and it's a cheap repair but it very fussy and requires some skill (if you don't do just right you will have to pull the entire transmission out of the vehicle.

I've done the repair myself for less than $200 (parts, fluid, etc.) successfully. Do a little research (YouTube and such) and see if the symptoms fit what your experiencing.

Is the intermediate band the same on the 2012 year do you know?  Thanks

I really should have bought the one with the 5-spd....  Doh!

Bon

On 6/6/2021 at 11:01 AM, Knottynuts said:

I think they are similar but I believe there was some upgrade after 2008 and I don't hear of that happening on the 2009-2012 years so much.

7 hours ago, Knottynuts said:

I think they are similar but I believe there was some upgrade after 2008 and I don't hear of that happening on the 2009-2012 years so much.

That's good to know.  Thanks!