Sign in to follow this  
camdavis58

Why won't it start?

I have a 2009 Ford Escape. It started and ran fine until today. Today it will not start. I can crank the engine but it just won't turn over all the way. I checked for codes. There are none. I tried pushing in hard on the key as I turn it. Did not help. There is a half tank of gas. The battery does not appear to be the issue since the headlights are bright, all accessories work. If the problem is  with the fuel pump, a relay, fuse or starter wouldn't there be a code thrown?  What else can I check? 

Another thing I noticed is when I turn the key to the position for starting the car and then let go of it the key does not spring back. It stays in the start position and the engine continues trying to turn over even though I am no longer touching the key. I don't think that is supposed to happen. The key is supposed to spring back automatically. My guess is the the ignition switch module has gone bad. Apparently this is a know problem with 2009 Ford Escapes. Any opinions on this would be appreciated.