epizoan

Elusive Misfire 2009 Escape 3.0 Limited

Hello everyone! I have a question about my uncle's 2009 Escape 3.0. 

I have been chasing a Cylinder 5 misfire on a 2009 Escape Limited.

Backstory; About 2 months ago a broken oil cap caused oil to coat everything in the engine bay. Shortly thereafter, it developed a #2 cylinder misfire and a #2 injector electrical code. I tested the injector and found it to be faulty so I ordered a new injector and that fixed the problem at that time. Fast forward a few weeks, it developed another misfire. Random multiple misfire and a cylinder 5 misfire. No supporting codes. 

Steps I have taken and troubleshooting.

• New Plugs (Denso Double Platinum)
  • New Injector Harness (Old harness was heat damaged. Insulation was broken down on wires and retaining clips were all breaking)
  • Test and clean (electrical connection) all injectors.
  • Replace injector O-Rings
  • Check for vacuum leaks (carb cleaner while running and smoking intake)
  • Clean and inspect all electrical connections under the hood. (removed any residual oil that may have crept in)
  • Troubleshoot misfire by swapping 5 and 4 injectors.
  • Troubleshoot by swapping 5 and 4 coils.
  • Compression test (all cylinders within 5% of 120 psi)
  • Checked fuel pressure pre start and post start (60 psi pre start and steady above 55psi at idle up to 3500 rpm)
  • Inspect all coils for damage and/or wear.
  • Checked timing chain for tension and confirm timing.

Currently Cylinders 2, 5, and 6 all exhibit misfires. 2 and 6 stayed under 60 during drive cycle, 5 registered hundreds of misfires.
Fuel trims (LT) are max positive on B1 (+29) and -16 on B2. 
Idle continuously degrades and will not clear up until a good bit of open throttle. (Highway driving is smooth)

I was thinking that the timing skipped, but verified it didn't.. But I suspect it might have something to do with the VVT. I am uncertain how to begin troubleshooting the Ford VVT system. I would suspect that 1,3,5 would misfire if it were a valve timing issue... But I have seen a lot of odd issues diagnosed 180 deg. from initial hypothesis. 

I am hoping that some techs with more experience than I can chime in with ideas and troubleshooting ideas. 

thank you in advance,

Epizoan